The ingredients for Garbanzo-Oat Waffles sound like an unlikely combination for waffles; however, surprisingly, these high fiber, low sugar and fat waffles are surprisingly good! Easy and inexpensive to make too. These can be made “sweet” or “savory”.
- 1 c. soaked garbanzo beans (1/2 c. dry) or 1 c. canned garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 2 1/4 c. water
- 1 T. melted butter or coconut oil
- 3 T. brown sugar or 3 pitted dates
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- 1 t. vanilla (1/4 t. if making ”savory” waffles)
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 1-2 T. Quinoa Flakes (optional)
- 1 T. Chia Seeds (optional)
- Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix or blender under thoroughly liquified.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Prehead waffle iron at medium high heat setting.
- Spray waffle iron with coconut oil spray and cook at medium/high for 11-15 minutes or until steam stops and golden-crispy brown.
Place on a wire rack for 1-2 minutes for steam to escape to keep waffle crispy before serving.
If keeping warm while other waffles are cooking, place in 1 layer on a wire rack inside warming oven so waffles don’t become soggy.
Goes great with any nut butter and fresh berries or try a savory version with a gravy sauce or cottage cheese with sliced tomatoes and avocado.