Shawarma in the slow cooker is delicious and won’t make you sweat all day tending the meat.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 3 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- chili pepper (to taste, add more if you like heat, omit if you don’t)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- Trim chicken breasts of any excess fat. Place in a bowl and add the sumac, salt and pepper garlic, turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger, cardamom and chili pepper (optional).
- In the bottom of your slow cooker add the vegetable oil and add the chicken.
- Pour the lemon juice on top and add enough water to almost cover the chicken.
- Cook on low heat for 4 hours, until the chicken is falling apart, keep on warm until just before serving.
- A few minutes before eating, transfer the chicken and liquid to a large pan. Shred the chicken with forks, and turn the heat to high.
- Watch the chicken as the liquid reduces. You will want all of the liquid to be reduced, and the chicken to just slightly begin drying up. At this point it’s done.
- Serve the shwarma in warm pita bread or gluten free wraps with a side of greek yogurt