The texture of this recipe is strikingly close to seafood ceviche. A wonderful, light vegetarian spin on a traditional favorite.
- 1/2 red onion
- 5 limes
- 2 pkgs baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Thinly slice onions into half-moon slices. Add juice of 1 lime and salt. Let marinade at least 20 min.
- Slice mushrooms (I use an egg slicer for even consistency.)
- Chop jalapeno. Add this and mushrooms to onion mixture. Gently toss salad with juice of remaining 4 limes, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 15 more minutes.
- Coarsely chop cilanto, and dice the avocado. Gently add to salad mixture. Serve immediately.