This super-food chocolate cake is actually made of tons of fruit, nuts and veggies instead of sugar and eggs. This never-get-sick recipe from Dr. Fuhrman will boost your immunity and satisfy your sweet tooth. This could easily be made gluten free by substituting the whole wheat pastry flour for a gluten-free pastry flour. If so, a small egg or flax egg might need to be added to help it bind.
- 1 2/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3 1/2 cups pitted dates, divided
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup raw beets, shredded
- 3/4 cup raw carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup raw zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in own juice, drained
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- (These 2 items were not in the recipe, but I added it after tasting the raw batter): 1/3 c. palm sugar & 1/2 t. sea salt
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts or raw cashews
- 2/3 cup pitted dates
- 1/3 cup brazil nuts or hazelnuts (I used a “Nutella” type nut butter – Dark Chocolate Almond spread from Whole Foods)
- 1 cup vanilla rice, hemp or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a Vitamix, combine 3 cups of dates, pineapple, banana and the applesauce and puree.
- Chop the rest of the dates into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped dates, beets, zucchini, carrots, cocoa powder, currants, walnuts, water, vanilla, the flour mixture from above and the blended date mixture and stir until everything is combined completely.
- Spread in a 9 x 13-inch nonstick baking pan (grease with coconut oil or nonstick spray) or 2 small round cake pans
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely
For the Icing:
- Combine all icing ingredients in the Vitamix and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Garnish with chopped nuts, coconut, or fresh fruit if you wish (optional)
Source: Dr. Fuhrman on doctoroz.com